THE MOST COMMON QUESTIONS ASKED BY A HOMEOWNER ABOUT HVAC
June 28, 2017
By: Patricia Cermignano
Whether you are a new homeowner or have owned a house for years, homeowners often have many questions regarding their HVAC systems. Below, we provide answers to the top five questions we commonly hear homeowner ask us:
1. Does a larger HVAC system offer better performance?
The answer to this question is simple- No! If you get a system that is too large, the HVAC system will heat or cool your home faster than an adequate sized system; however, it will operate in short cycles which causes the system to start and stop more frequently which results in a higher energy bill. On the other hand, if a system is too small, it will run continuously to try attaining the desired temperature which ultimately will also result in a higher energy bill. Overall, the best sized HVAC system for your home is based on your house's square footage so that it can heat and cool your house without overworking your system.
2. How do I know whether to repair or replace my HVAC system?
To determine whether your HVAC system needs to be repaired or replaced, we recommend referencing the below Bryant® Repair or Replace infographic:
For more information, visit our blog post on this topic at http://www.bobsredtrucks.com/blog/is-it-time-to-repair-or-replace-your-hvac-unit/.
3. How can I save money on my energy costs?
There are several ways to save money on your energy costs. Our top recommendations are as follows:
- Consider upgrading your HVAC system to a high efficiency unit
- Install a programmable thermostat and make sure it is programmed correctly to adjust temperatures throughout the day and week (for more information, please visit our blog post on this topic at http://www.bobsredtrucks.com/blog/product-of-the-month-programmable-thermostats/)
- Change your air filters on a regular schedule
- Have annual maintenance performed on your HVAC system twice a year- (1) time at the beginning of the air conditioning season and (1) time at the beginning of the heat season
- Make sure all vents are not blocked or obstructed by debris or furniture
- Install ceiling fans to help move the air around within a room
4. How often should I change my filters?
There are three main types of HVAC air filters: 1" Standard Air Filter, 4" Media Filter and Electronic Air Cleaners (EAC). Please see below for how frequently we recommend you change each of these filters:
- 1" Standard Air Filter: It is recommended that you check these air filters at least once a month
- 4" Media Filter: It is recommended that you change these air filters every six months- (1) time at the beginning of the air conditioning season and (1) time at the beginning of the heat season
- Electronic Air Cleaner (EAC): It is recommended that you have an EAC cleaned four times a year- (1) time at the beginning of each season
For more information, please visit our blog post on this topic at http://www.bobsredtrucks.com/blog/tech-tip-of-the-month-april-how-often-should-i-change-my-hvac-air-filters/.
5. How long do HVAC systems tend to last?
How long a HVAC system lasts is directly dependent on how well you maintain the upkeep of your unit. If you have the recommended preventative maintenance and service of your HVAC system performed throughout the lifespan of your system, a homeowner can generally expect their HVAC system to last anywhere from 15-20 years. Please see below for more specific details on the average lifespan of various HVAC systems:
- Heat Pumps: Average of 11-13 years
- Air Conditioning Units: Average of 11-13 years
- Furnaces: Average of 18-20 years
- Tankless Water Heaters: Average of 20 years
- Electric or Gas Water Heaters: Average of 10 years
- Thermostats: Average of 15 years (however with the evolution of modern technology, it is recommended to update your thermostat sooner)
If you have any specific questions on your home's HVAC system, please give our office a call at 610-642-6323 or visit us on our website at www.bobsredtrucks.com.