TECH TIP OF THE MONTH- MAY: DOES THE LOCATION OF A THERMOSTAT REALLY MATTER?
May 14, 2018
By: Patricia Cermignano
Did you know that the location of a thermostat impacts its efficiency and performance? If a thermostat is placed in a wrong location, it can result in a spike in monthly utility bills and/or can make a HVAC system work harder to reach the desired room temperature. Below is a list of the right and wrong locations to place a thermostat.
Where to Place a Thermostat-
- Interior Wall
- In a room that is frequently used
- Location where natural room air currents occur (warm air rises, cool air sinks)
- Convenient location for programming and adjusting the thermostat settings
- Within range of a Wi-Fi signal (if it is a smart thermostat)
Where Not to Place a Thermostat-
- Exterior wall
- In direct sunlight, drafts, skylights, windows or doorways
- Behind or above any pieces of furniture that can block the natural air movements
It is important to always read the thermostat's manufacturer installation instructions to see if there are any particular areas that a thermostat should be located, as it could vary from one manufacturer to another.
Please call our office at 610-642-6323 with any questions regarding the correct location of your thermostat or to schedule an appointment to have one of our professional HVAC technicians come out to your home to help install or relocate a thermostat.